Department Chair: Andrew Sensenig, Ph.D.
Clinical Laboratory Science, also called Medical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology, is the healthcare profession that provides laboratory information and services needed for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Clinical Laboratory Scientists perform a variety of laboratory tests, ensure the quality of the test results, explain the significance of laboratory tests, evaluate new methods, and study the effectiveness of laboratory tests.
This emphasis prepares students to be eligible to become clinical-lab scientist trainees with the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to excel as entry level, competent scientists. Clinical Laboratory scientists generally have a baccalaureate degree in clinical laboratory science and have completed a formal clinical training program.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in general science concepts and theories, as well as in self-selected health science sub-disciplines in order to succeed in careers and graduate programs.
- Use critical and creative thinking to solve problems by compiling and analyzing scientific information from library, electronic, and experimental sources. Effectively apply current technology and scientific methodologies for problem solving.
- Design and conduct experiments –both individually and in small groups– using appropriate strategies such as: collect, organize, analyze, interpret, and present quantitative & qualitative data and incorporate them into the broader context of health sciences knowledge.
- Operate basic scientific instruments necessary for biological investigations such as microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, electrophoresis equipment and pH meters thus demonstrating competency in basic laboratory skills, cell culture, and field techniques.
- Describe economic and social contexts surrounding the practice of medicine in the United States and are able to apply socioeconomic and ethical perspectives in analysis of current issues in health care.
Main Campus Fresno
Pre-Health Sciences - Pre-Clinical Lab, B.A. Four Year Pathway